MJs Top Antique fairs and markets
I have been visiting Antique fairs and markets for years. I think my love for preloved items came out of growing up in a Council house where the decor had objects from various periods in time. It conjures up happy times, when I use to earn my pocket money from cleaning the brass.
I thought I'd write this blog, to share with you my TOP favourite Antique fairs and markets, so you can explore further afield for yourself.
1, Station Mill Antique Centre: Chipping Norton in the Cotswolds. This is not the biggest centre I visit but it is my favourite. Whether it's because they seem to have a great selection of Antiques and Collectables throughout all era's and they set them out like a styled room or space. You can really see how items would look in a home setting.
2, Dagfield Crafts Market: Heathfield, Nantwich. Nestled in the beautiful countryside this place, is worthy of a full day out. There is a Cafe on site, so you can take comfort breaks. When they say it a craft market, it's a huge understatement, it's actually got 7 giant Warehouse emporiums. It's gigantic and your guaranteed to find what you're looking for.
3, Malvern Flea Market: Malvern Worcesterhour. This is run by B2B events and is run throughout the year. I'd suggest if you're going to visit this one, your better off going in the better weather. Especially during the summer months. There are more Outdoor traders with larger salvage & furniture items. The indoor warehouses have a mixture of traders from the smaller items to more valuable antiques. I've been going here for years and every time, I say I wish I'd brought a pull along trolley. It's more about the volume of objects you can find, rather than carrying it back to the car. Although, please note it's a huge site.
4, London Antique Markets: There are a vast amount of markets in London and I'm fortunate to have visited the majority of them. Each one has a different feel. In terms of which is the best for Antiques then I'd recommend Portobello Road or visit Greenwich market. A trip to Camden is always on my list to because they have a huge array of artisans and artists, so perfect to discover a unique piece to take centre stage in your home.
5, Leominster, Hereford: I have put the town rather than an individual shop, that's because it's got the highest volume of antique shops then any other I know. They have cleverly turned it into an Antique Trail through the town. I'd suggest booking an overnight stay if you're planning on visiting here, partly because it's got so much to offer in the surrounding area.
6, 2nd Chance Antiques: Ludlow, Shropshire. This is a beautiful and quaint market town with a number of places to purchase Antiques. I just love this place, because the owner is open to bartering with you and while the building is a little tired, what you can discover inside is like a treasure trove.
7, Glen Ginger Antiques: Ludlow, Shropshire. This is where you can find some seriously impressive pieces. Plus Glen, has been in the industry for years and he is a font of knowledge when it comes to giving advice on value and age.
8, The Attic @Bewdley: Bewdley, Worcestershire. Bernie, the lady that runs this shop in a stunning part of Worcestershire is a relatively newby to the town. Opening in December 2025. What I'd say about a trip here, is the sure pace of stock that she gets through the door. I visit every week and there is always new stock. Oh and Bernie is always up for a chat. Plus you have the Severn Valley Railway on the doorstep.
9, Bingley Showground: Antique fairs; These are brought to you by iacf. They claim to bring you the best Antiques and Collectors fairs in the UK, of which Bingley is just one. They also are held in Newark, Shepton, Allypally and Peterborough. It's worth checking out there website to learn when & where they are held.
10, The Builth Wells National Antiques Fair: Builth Wells, Wales. This is another gigantic fair held over two main weekends in the calendar. It's vast show with a huge number of traders. Your sure to discover exactly what your looking for here. Be sure to take a picnic and a flask because it's thirsty work exploring this fair.
My other final suggestion would be to discover where and when the local Carboots are being held. So if you're on a City break or a trip to the Seaside, you're likely to find different types of preloved items.
If you have any recommendations, we would love to hear from you. As we always like to discover new places to visit and new fairs or markets to explore.
Plus let us know what items you have purchased and what you have done with them.
Finally, remember to haggle, some traders are open to this & you could grab yourself a bargain. Happy shopping!!
#Countrylife #Interiordesign #interiordesigner
Comments
Post a Comment