How much you can expect to pay for an interior designer?
I am writing this blog, as a guide to help new interior designers set their stall, so to speak when venturing into this industry.
Many people, see this as a dream job, almost like a hobbyist, I want to set the record straight and say, it's so much more than that. Many interior designers have been studying for years to learn about the various aspects of becoming an interior designer; understanding about spacial design, how we can design spaces for the future both in terms of work, home and play. And the different technological advancements that support this industry, with the use of AI, 3D Visuals etc.
There are also the other type of interior designers, that are passionate about what they do and have become skilled through experience, a particular flair for design and the sheet ability to, be able to visualise how a home can be designed in a better way to improve the lives of the people that live within them. I fall into this category. That's not to say I'm not educated on the contrary; I studied Entrepreneurship at University to ensure I have the necessary skillset, to run a business that is putting customers and clients at the heart of their buying process.
I have totted up, over the course of my life (and I am now officially middle aged), I have made over 100 rooms and in recent years, I have completed a full house renovation, which was a massive learning curve and a complete joy. Especially when you get to look back on what you have achieved in terms of the home you have created. My final goal is to build my own Grand Design home by the sea in Cornwall. It's been a life long ambition and my current business has been created with this in mind. One day, yes one day soon.
So back to the topic of this blog, regarding how much you can expect to pay for an interior designer; I carried out extensive research prior to starting, Country Interior Design by MJ, to learn more about how to charge for my services and I thought I'd share my findings.
Firstly, it really does depend on the scope of the project and ultimately the client your about to work with. If for example you are working for a client that has a large Property portfolio in London and is looking to attract a higher value clientele than naturally the amount you charge would be different from a client that requires design advice by way of a Room Review.
Plus, if you're going to be project managing a larger home extension or take on a full Commercial workspace redesign, again your approach to fees will be different. In this scenario, your likely to charge a percentage of the overall cost of the project and budget. A great resource I discovered is these guidelines from Checkatrade, remember this is just a guide and you should be confident that your pitching your costs, based on your skills, expertise and of course the type of client your going to be working with.
How Much Does an Interior Designer Cost? | Checkatrade
https://www.checkatrade.com/blog/cost-guides/interior-designer-cost/
As part of my own business approach to costs, I decided to go with packages. While every clients requirements are different, the packages give a guide to the cost and plus it demonstrates what the client is going to receive as part of that service. Ultimately, it's a great starting point for you to negotiate with each client, what they want from you in terms of an interior design service. Remember to be flexible, you can never tell how the success of one clients project could lead to another more lucrative design project, or the doors & opportunities that could be opened as a result of a great business; client relationship. Be mindful of the fact that a testimonial from a recent client will almost definitely affect how successful you are, winning that next big project.
However much, your looking to charge, be confident in charging based on your worth and skills. Don't be afraid to negotiate and return to the table with more rounded and client lead proposal. Good luck to you, whether you're just at the beginning of your interior design career or like me, your pivoting your career to change your path into a lifestyle business.. Be sure to charge your worth and it goes without saying; design homes that delight your clients and that impact our communities positively and provoke an emotional connection with people & places. Interior design may not be saving lives like a doctor can, but they can help to create homes we want to spend our quality time in, & that's important to everyone.
If you're just looking to start your own ID studio, then I'm happy to offer my own Mentor services, perhaps we could learn together?
#Countrylife #Interiordesign #interiordesigner
Comments
Post a Comment